VAC2507 - Gantry Crane Operator
About the Business:
DP World is one of the largest marine terminal operators in the world, with 50 terminals and 11 new developments across 31 countries(1). Its dedicated, experienced and professional team of nearly 30,000 people serves customers in some of the most dynamic economies in the world. DP World aims to enhance customers' supply chain efficiency by effectively managing container, bulk and other terminal cargo.
The company constantly invests in terminal infrastructure, facilities and people, working closely with customers and business partners to provide quality services today and tomorrow, when and where customers need them. In taking this customer-centric approach, DP World is building on the established relationships and superior level of service demonstrated at its flagship Jebel Ali facility in Dubai, which has been voted "Best Seaport in the Middle East" for 16 consecutive years.
In 2009, DP World handled more than 43.4 million TEU (twenty-foot equivalent container units) across its portfolio from the Americas to Asia. With a pipeline of expansion and development projects in key growth markets, including India, China and the Middle East, capacity is expected to rise to around 95 million TEU over the next ten years, in line with market demand
About the Department:
Jebel Ali is the largest container port outside Asia and in the middle east; handled approx 11.5m teus in 2010 (approx 04% increase as compare to the last year - 2009). We have 2 terminals T1 and T2 deploying 79 cranes which includes the largest cranes in the world and the first with Quad-Container lift capability (04X20 container per lift) which help us to provide better result and efficiency at a regular interval inorder to compete with the other terminals around the world. Current strength of more than 2,800 employees of different nationalities which brings the new ideas for better results.
About the Role:
This position reports to VESSEL FOREMAN and the main purpose of the role is to operate Gantry cranes to discharge and backload containers from vessel to truck in a safe and efficient manner thereby ensuring smooth flow of container terminal operations.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Ensure quay crane long travel clearances is accurate by confirming via radio and with vessel foreman.
- Ensure Adhere to manufacturer's guidance and capacity limits specified.
- Inspect equipment thoroughly prior to use , any malfunction ,report to foreman immediately
- Secure load properly during transport in proper specified sequence
- Ensure connections and anchorage are mechanically sound and secure, consistent with manufacturer guidance and good work-practices
- Operate hoist, bridge, trolley, or boom competently, confidently, and safely without error
- Ensure staff, crew and pedestrian safety around the crane
- Ensure load is balanced and secure prior to lifting
- Demonstrate complete control over load (low, slow, and smooth transition and movement)
- Avoid contact with adjacent hatches, Cell guide and obstacles completely and Avoid shock loading
- Ensure the gantry crane passage is clear at all times
- WARN personnel approaching loads to be lifted and moved.
- To discharge containers as per sequence using the gantry crane during Vessel operations for operational requirements
- To establish continuous communication with vessel foreman during discharge or back load to avoid confusion or disruptions.
- To maintain crane productively and ensure safety procedures are carried out while operating the crane.
- To inspect crane for damages or repair and forward information to vessel foreman and senior operator during breakdown for repair works.
- To manage team of dowel men and lasher during immediate and urgent immediate cargo discharge or load for quick loading.
- To observe any operation changes related with container loading and confirm the same with senior operator for inspection.
- Operate & troubleshoot (at operator level) of cranes, Operate vessel cranes during bulk operations (upon request).
- Use of load charts and various controls/gauges of crane.
- Assist in daily maintenance of Cranes and ensure the operator cabin is clean with impeccable hygiene
- Preparation of log sheets, utilization report or incident reports.
- Visual signals associated with crane operation.
- Protect the drivers while discharge with gentle landing on trailer
- Refer always and follow references given in training manual
- Must ensure all operations are proceeding in a safe manner, and correct
- Notify responsible person of any unsafe actions and/or conditions
Experience & Qualifications:
In order to give credible support to the organisation and be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have the following experience, skills and qualifications:
- High school certificate or equivalent accompanied with operator's license for gantry crane equipment.
Skills and Experience
- 3 years of experience in handling gantry crane equipment.
Renumeration and Employment Benefits:
We are committed to the development of our people and aim to retain talent by investing in ongoing training to improve performance and provide career development opportunities. In addition, we offer competitive base salaries in comparison to the markets in which we operate. The employment benefits package is reflective of the location, for this position the benefits consists of:
- Company Accommodation
- Company Transport
- Air ticket for self once in every two years
- Government Medical Coverage
- 22 working days annual leave
- Annual Performance Related Bonus
- End of Service Benefit (Expats)
- Pension Contribution (UAE nationals)
DP World processes personal information in accordance with
Data Protection principles and takes reasonable steps to ensure accuracy of
data. Please be advised that your personal information is stored in a secure
central database which is owned by the Dubai World Group of Companies, of which
DP World FZE is a part of.
You are about to be redirected to an application form; by
completing this form you confirm that the personal information provided is true
and correct to the best of your knowledge. In addition, you have read and fully
understand the contents herein and consent to Dubai World Group of Companies
processing of your personal data for relevant purposes in accordance with the
Companyâ€™s Data Protection Policy.