Please be advised that the position below is currently not an active vacancy, however if you would like to register your details for future career opportunities please apply now.
VAC3107 - Speculative Vacancies - CT Operations - (Gantry Crane / RTG Crane Operator)
About the Business:
DP World operates more than 60 terminals across six continents(1), with container handling generating around 80% of its revenue. In addition, the company currently has 11 new developments and major expansions underway in 10 countries.
DP World aims to enhance customers’ supply chain efficiency by effectively managing container, bulk and other terminal cargo. Its dedicated, experienced and professional team of more than 30,000 people serves customers in some of the most dynamic economies in the world.
The company constantly invests in terminal infrastructure, facilities and people, working closely with customers and business partners to provide quality services today and tomorrow, when and where customers need them.
In taking this customer-centric approach, DP World is building on the established relationships and superior level of service demonstrated at its flagship Jebel Ali facility in Dubai, which has been voted “Best Seaport in the Middle East” for 18 consecutive years.
In 2011, DP World handled nearly 55 million TEU (twenty-foot equivalent container units) across its portfolio from the Americas to Asia. With a pipeline of expansion and development projects in key growth markets, including India, China and the Middle East, capacity is expected to rise to around 103 million TEU by 2020, in line with market demand.
About the Department:
The Container Terminals comprise of 22 berths with 7,475 meters of deep water quay and the terminal is equipped with 79 quay cranes and are able to cater to the world’s largest container vessels. The largest vessel handled by the container terminal facility is EBBA Maersk. The container terminals cover a total area of 3.3 million sqm which includes container yards and container freight stations.
The terminal has a total handling capacity of 14 million TEU (20-foot equivalent units) which helps maintain Jebel Ali Port’s position as the preferred HUB of the region.
In 2011, DP World, UAE Region achieved a throughput of 13 million TEU. Jebel Ali Port is ranked as the world’s 9th largest container port according to Containerisation International (2010).
About the Role:
This position reports to VESSEL FOREMAN and the main purpose of the role is to operate Gantry cranes to discharge and backload containers from vessel to truck in a safe and efficient manner thereby ensuring smooth flow of container terminal operations.
Key accountabilities will include:
- Ensure quay crane long travel clearances is accurate by confirming via radio and with vessel foreman.
- Ensure Adhere to manufacturer's guidance and capacity limits specified.
- Inspect equipment thoroughly prior to use , any malfunction ,report to foreman immediately
- Secure load properly during transport in proper specified sequence
- Ensure connections and anchorage are mechanically sound and secure, consistent with manufacturer guidance and good work-practices
- Operate hoist, bridge, trolley, or boom competently, confidently, and safely without error
- Ensure staff, crew and pedestrian safety around the crane
- Ensure load is balanced and secure prior to lifting
- Demonstrate complete control over load (low, slow, and smooth transition and movement)
- Avoid contact with adjacent hatches, Cell guide and obstacles completely and Avoid shock loading
- Ensure the gantry crane passage is clear at all times
- WARN personnel approaching loads to be lifted and moved.
- To discharge containers as per sequence using the gantry crane during Vessel operations for operational requirements
- To establish continuous communication with vessel foreman during discharge or back load to avoid confusion or disruptions.
- To maintain crane productively and ensure safety procedures are carried out while operating the crane.
- To inspect crane for damages or repair and forward information to vessel foreman and senior operator during breakdown for repair works.
- To manage team of dowel men and lasher during immediate and urgent immediate cargo discharge or load for quick loading.
- To observe any operation changes related with container loading and confirm the same with senior operator for inspection.
- Operate & troubleshoot (at operator level) of cranes, Operate vessel cranes during bulk operations (upon request).
- Use of load charts and various controls/gauges of crane.
- Assist in daily maintenance of Cranes and ensure the operator cabin is clean with impeccable hygiene
- Preparation of log sheets, utilization report or incident reports.
- Visual signals associated with crane operation.
- Protect the drivers while discharge with gentle landing on trailer
- Refer always and follow references given in training manual
- Must ensure all operations are proceeding in a safe manner, and correct
- Notify responsible person of any unsafe actions and/or conditions
Experience & Qualifications:
In order to give credible support to the organisation and be successful in this role, the ideal candidate will have the following experience, skills and qualifications:
- High school certificate or equivalent accompanied with operator's license for gantry crane equipment.
Skills and Experience
- 3 years of experience in handling RTG and/or Gantry Crane equipment.
Renumeration and Employment Benefits:
We are committed to the development of our people and aim to retain talent by investing in ongoing training to improve performance and provide career development opportunities. In addition, we offer competitive base salaries in comparison to the markets in which we operate. The employment benefits package is reflective of the location, for this position the benefits consists of:
- Company Accommodation
- Company Transport
- Air ticket for self once in every two years
- Government Medical Coverage
- 22 working days annual leave
- Annual Performance Related Bonus
- End of Service Benefit (Expats)
- Pension Contribution (UAE nationals)
DP World processes personal information in accordance with Data Protection principles and takes reasonable steps to ensure accuracy of data. Please be advised that your personal information is stored in a secure central database which is owned by the Dubai World Group of Companies, of which DP World FZE is a part of.
You are about to be redirected to an application form; by completing this form you confirm that the personal information provided is true and correct to the best of your knowledge. In addition, you have read and fully understand the contents herein and consent to Dubai World Group of Companies processing of your personal data for relevant purposes in accordance with the Company's Data Protection Policy.